Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Chicks on Sticks

The first weekend of February, I spent all of Saturday and Sunday at Pajarito Mountain Ski Area with 50 other women honing our ski skills. Ages varied, ability levels varied, backgrounds varied but we all had one common goal -- to ski a lot. I just started downhill skiing a few years ago (I cannot call my one scary day at Powder Ridge in MN in 1988 real skiing) and I have spent most of my last few winters at Pajarito by myself trying figure out how to turn and stop. Eric and I coordinate to give each other an hour to ski before or after the kids ski or nap or eat or... This was the first time I really got a chance to ski the whole weekend, try out a whole bunch of skis, and learn from others...including my group leader who was my former student! I did runs that were too hard for me and I survived. I had great conversations on the chairlifts with local women I've never met who love to ski. I hurt each night as I went to bed. It was a great weekend.




No comments: