Sunday, August 16, 2009

Special Time Together

As my mom's birthday, August 7th, approaches every year, I get weird. Eric and I talked about making it a meaningful weekend. So I decided that Maddie and I would spend sometime together. I miss her! She is a kid now. She doesn't need me like Gus or Elise do and we don't have much alone time anymore. So we spent a night in Albuquerque. First, we school shopped -- she was so mature trying on the outfits and really deciding on her backpack and school needs. Then, we went out for dinner to an Italian restaurant. It was great to really talk about life and not have to cut food or clean spills. Then we finished the evening back at our *amazing* B&B, Hacienda Antigua, a 1790 trading post for weary travelers across New Mexico. We talked about why old things are good things. As Maddie wrote in her journal, "We stayed in Albaqry in a old hotel. it was cool." We swam in the pool all morning, followed by a visit to an antique store where she got a old Navajo ring to remember the weekend. A fresh hair cut ended our trip together. We returned to Elise, Gus, and Eric with warm smiles knowing we had reconnected. Wonderful memories at a time of the year that usually makes me sad.

Photos were taken on a disposable camera so I'll post them once I get the developed.

Elise and I decided that we needed time together too. Even though we'll have our afternoons this year while Gus naps and Maddie is at school, we headed to Santa Fe for dinner and shopping. We got her new "sparkle Hello Kitty runners" (aka shoes) and a water bottle. It was a great night to just listen to her talk. She has wonderful things to say and I don't always hear her. "Mom, I don't really want to go off the high dive this year. I'll wait until I'm 5 or 6."


No comments: